Saturday, October 15, 2011

warm house, cold hands

You know that infuriating feeling of waking up from a dream where you're right on the cusp of discovering what it all had meant? You're so close and then it just slips away, your vision fades to black, and your eyes open. How irritating.

But I will leave my complaining to a minimum because I just pulled back the curtain and it's an absolutely gorgeous day that I will be spending out and about with my friends and seeing Demitri Martin! The conclusion of that dream didn't hold the answer to life's big mysteries anyway.

The last few days have been lovely. On Thursday we had a movie night and watched Mean Girls. What a classic film. That movie is so nostalgic. Not because my high school was particularly like that, thank goodness. More so because it came out when I was like 14 and it's been there to quote and to laugh at with a bunch of different people for years. And now I can add my new friends to the nostalgic magic of Mean Girls.

Also on Thursday, I presented in my Shakespeare class! Basically our instructor said that each week two of us would be introducing the text, instead of him. He said it's totally informal and can take whatever direction we want it to. That class is intimidating. I really like it, but he knows everything about Shakespeare, which makes for great discussion but also makes me feel like I should. And he's not the only one! This class is very small, 12 students at most. A good number of them are doing their dissertations on Shakespeare, so clearly they know a ton as well. BUT, I presented part of the introduction and I feel like it went really well, it fostered good discussion and I hit on points that are coming up later in the semester (which is always a good thing in my mind). So that was a relief. 


Yesterday I went with a big crew of friends to a cafĂ© called 'First Out'. The food was  quite good and the selection for vegetarians was huge. That's a really nice thing about London and I think England in general, they specify on literally all of their products if they're 'suitable for vegetarians'. Get on top of this FDA. Seriously. We roamed the streets for awhile until we eventually decided to go back to Alex's. Where we proceeded to talk and laugh for hours and hours. When we finally made our way back to the dorms at around 2 it was with aching cheeks and happy hearts. 

Love this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment