Monday, October 17, 2011

Light up, light up, as if you have a choice

For as long as I can remember people have tried to teach me to blow bubbles. My dad would give me a piece of gum, he'd blow a bubble and I'd say, ' I wish I could do that'. He'd say, 'it's easy' and offer his particular technique, but I could never quite make it work. I think part of this was always from fear of being unsuccessful and just blowing a raspberry all over the bus. Because, inevitably, that's where the impromptu lessons would occur.

My dad is certainly not the only one  that's tried. Many friends, neighbors, coworkers, what seems like everyone I know, has tried to get me to get my mouth conditioned in just the right way to finally make it happen. No dice.

Eventually, I just resigned myself to the fact that my mouth wasn't cut out for making bubbles out of gum. And hey, that's okay. That's not an essential skill. I was sure there were millions of people that couldn't blow bubbles. But, my façade of indifference was just that, a façade. I wanted to have the silly satisfaction of a pop in my face and gum all over my nose. I wanted to be like everybody else. And finally last night, I did it.

Earlier this week we were hanging out around the kitchen table. I got out a piece of gum and thought I'd offer to everyone else (because I know how much I always want to ask when someone else gets out gum, but never feel like I should). Everyone accepted and within a few minutes, bubbles were being blown all over the place. 'I can't blow a bubble,' I said. My friends were baffled, not in a mean way, they just wanted me to be able to experience this simple pleasure. So they tried to teach me. But it didn't work.

They all signed the packaging.
And then last night Jess, Emmett, Stevie, Jo, and I were sitting around the table tasting teas when Stevie & Jo made a sweets run. They came back with a bunch of delectable treats and Bubblilcious bubblegum. I was going to do this. I tried and I tried and this time I wouldn't give up. I was determined. I stood in front of the door to the balcony looking at my mouth to make sure I was moving my lips in the right way. Then a flash of light and someone was setting of fire crackers on the Canal and we all went out on the balcony and watched. As the fireworks rained on I continued to attempt and finally, finally it happened! I squealed and everyone turned to face me and we were all so obnoxiously happy for my small victory that we all squealed with joy. What an innocently, joyful, wonderful moment. It's seriously the small things in life.

This weekend was really really good, even better than blowing your first bubble. I feel like I've finally gotten used to being here, settled into the routine, fully accepted that for the next two months, this is my life. And I've more than accepted it. I'm so lucky and so thankful to be able to be having this amazing experience. Before I left, the way I thought about this time was very much like, "okay I'll be here for three months, I'll have a great time, be in school, meet cool people etc.". But, now that I'm here actually having a great time, getting to know amazingly wonderful people who I know will be life long friends, the prospect of a contained three months is not possible. Not that I really ever thought that it was. And I'm really glad that it isn't. Feeling this way is really all that I could ask for out of this experience though (and it's given me so much more already), to be so happy and content here that I will miss this place and these people really a lot when I leave. A bittersweet ending; so happy to be going home to the place and the people I've loved for a long time & sad to be leaving this amazing new city and these beautiful new friends. Not trying to get ahead of myself here, just a reminder to me and to you to savor every moment because life moves way too quickly.

On Saturday Jess, Aniela, Alice, Alex, Stevie, Jo, Emmett, and I went to Camden. It was a beautiful day. 

I really wanted one of these watches.

This is Regent's Canal! I didn't know it made it all the way to Camden.

Sometimes you have to do the robot.

Sometimes you have to get your lip pierced.

We ate tasty Indian food by the canal.

And here we all are minus Alice & Jo.
There was so much to see and to buy in Camden. I feel like I have to go back and wander through more slowly to really appreciate everything it has to offer.

Saturday night I had a ticket to see Demitri Martin at Leicester Square Theatre. I bought this ticket in August and it was the first thing I knew with a hundred percent certainty that I would be doing in London. So, it was exciting that it was happening. Plus, Demitri Martin is hilarious. The show was wonderful. He was so funny. The venue was also really great and I was in the second row. After his set which was about an hour and a half, he waited around and signed things and took pictures. I had him sign my ticket and he was so pleasant and kind and clearly wanted to just meet the people that had spent their time and money on his comedy. Good taste.

I just made the last Eastbound train from Holburn to Mile End station, a bit stressful, but I made it back safe and sound to skype with Addie, Jessica, and Peter. It was nice to see them all together. It's been awhile and I miss those kids.

On Sunday I didn't wake up until 10:30! When we were in Camden I mentioned to the group that I wanted to go to Wales. Stevie & Jo said if you want somewhere beautiful like that you should just go to Edinburgh, which I thought sounded like a great idea. And yesterday we made the plans! Stevie, Jess, Alex, Emmett, Jo, and I are going to Edinburgh the fifth through seventh of november. So excited! And we got the train and the hostel for super cheap.

And! Emma and I bought our train tickets and made a hotel reservation for our weekend in Paris! So excited for this too!

After making all these plans Jo and Stevie taught me about tea, while Emmett, Jess and I sampled various varieties. I found out that I like tea a million times better with milk. And I blew a bubble as recounted earlier. Jess and Emmett went to bed and I planned to follow suit. But one thing lead to another and Stevie, Jo, and I ended up talking about basically everything until 3AM. The whole day (and most of the night) was spent bonding and getting to know my new friends better, realizing just how wonderful and what amazing people they truly are. I'm so glad I didn't go to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment