Thursday, November 10, 2011

We are stardust. We are golden. We are billion year old carbon.

The last couple of days have been nice and relaxed. Just what I needed after an epic Edinburgh weekend and six weeks of school. In usual Tianna fashion I'm finding it challenging to process how fast time goes by. Because usually when I'm in a moment or a day it doesn't feel like it's speeding along. Then when I stop and think that next week I'll have been here for two months, my brain can hardly compute that.

And Emma is coming to visit me, next Friday! I've been looking forward to this since she bought her ticket in July. I can hardly believe that she's going to be here next weekend. I'm so excited to see her. It's really perfect timing on her part as well. The following week is Thanksgiving and although my pals and I are having our own Thanksgiving feast that weekend (which I am so looking forward to), I think this will be the time that I will most want to be home. Luckily, a bit of home is coming to me and my friends are wonderful. Also, Emma and I are going to Paris for the weekend. Just a bit excited for that as well ; ) 

I was looking at the list of things I want to do and/or see before I leave and it hit me that I will probably not be able to do all of them. At first I was not okay with that and thought about devising a schedule to make it all happen. But then I realized that it's okay if I don't see everything. London isn't going anywhere. I know that I will be back here as many times as I can be and the items that remain on my list provide all the more incentive for my return.

Tuesday was gray and dismal looking. Really the first day that I felt epitomized stereotypical London weather. I was feeling kind of lethargic and when the weather is like that it's hard to be motivated to do anything. But, Emmett and I had made plans to take the bus to Asda (a Supermarket with a greater selection). After forcing myself out of bed (I haven't had one of these lazy days in a long time so I was milking it a bit) we walked to the bus stop and of course, got on the wrong bus. This ended up being fine because we were through a part of the city I had yet to see and after about 30 minutes we saw a bus stop for the bus we were supposed to be on. We got on the D6 only to find that it was going back toward Mile End and away from Asda. Oh well. 

Having utterly missed Asda we decided to go to Sainsbury's which is only a 15 minute walk. Following our grocery outing we concluded that it was the perfect weather for a film. So we joined Jess and watched Galaxy Quest. I love this movie. So much. It has great associations for me. Firstly, it's a Pilipovic family favorite. We quote it all the time at home. Secondly, it reminds me of a fun evening spent at Cheapo being way too amused by everything, including but, not limited to a Billy Ray Cyrus VHS for $2.00 and then watching Galaxy Quest at Lizzie's. Many good memories. Made me miss home. Then I talked with my parents, which was nice and alleviated a bit of the missing while slightly increasing it, if that's possible. As amazing as this experience is, it will be nice to be home and see all your beautiful faces in five weeks and the city I love so well.

Yesterday Emmett, Jess, and I walked to Brick Lane. It's about two miles from Queen Mary, literally straight down Mile End Road and then one block right. We had some great vegetable curry and naan for lunch. There's a guy outside each restaurant trying to tell you that their curry and their deal is best. Seriously I think each restaurant had a sign boasting their 'award for best curry'. It was REALLY good so I can't complain. We wandered through, looked in a few different shops, and I spent more than I wanted to on music and books, but is anyone honestly surprised by that?

Last evening Jess, Alice, and I met up to take the tube to Tuffnell Park (a place I hadn't yet been in London!). I'm always excited when I'm taking the tube to a new stop or riding a line I haven't yet been on. We saw Andrew O'Neill (the same Andrew O'Neill who lead the Ripper walk that I went on last month!) at this pub called The Hideaway. The venue was nice and cozy and I got a bit tipsy from cider, only a bit though, I swear I'm not as much of a lightweight as you're now thinking (I probably am). They also had wood-fired pizzas which were delectable and reminded me how much I'd love a Pizza Biga pizza. Soon, very soon.

The stand-up was hilarious and apparently he was recording for his new cd. So if you purchase or listen to Andrew O'Neill's new cd (whenever that comes out) my boisterous laughter will be a part of your listening experience. Good times.

Today I am going to get reading done. I am going to write more letters. I am going to be responsible and on task. And maybe watch an episode of Dexter and House and check my email and facebook way more times than is necessary, as you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment