Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I'm the weekend warrior


You know how sometimes you should really be working on a paper, but you 'need' to check everything else on the internet that may have notified you of something, before you get back into writing?

Yeah, that never happens to me either ; ) We're all much more disciplined than that. 

Right now, I'm lounging in Ground Café finishing a particularly delectable soy latté. I like it here. Contrary to what the fact that I'm writing this blog post and not writing my paper will suggest, it's a good spot for getting work done. It's noisy, but not distracting. I think that's necessary for me to focus. If I'm just sitting in my room and it's relatively quiet my mind wanders way too far away from the task at hand, way too easily. And often if I listen to music while I'm trying to read or write, I get too wrapped up in the music and can't concentrate on what I'm doing. So, this is perfect.

Also, I left Minneapolis two months ago! Can you believe that? I can't. It feels like I've been here for a decent amount of time, but I can hardly concede that it's been two whole months. This also means that I will be back in one month! And there is no shortage of things to do during that time, schoolwork and otherwise, so we all know it will go by way too fast. 

It's gotten the slightest bit more chilly in the past few days. Not cold. Just chilly. But, the all too familiar Winter dread is seeping into my soul. I've given myself the 'Tianna you have SO many things to look forward to this Winter' pep-talk a number of times, I think I've even blogged about it, and I know it's true. I just don't think I will ever be able to like the cold. Ever. It's hardly even cold here, now and even by the time I leave it won't be that cold, not like home. So, sorry in advance if I'm particularly vocal about my Winter woes this year. I'll do my best to keep it to myself and smile, smile, smile. Warmth is totally a state of mind. I'm going to keep telling myself that and hopefully, when I need it to be, it will be true.

The last week has been full of reading. It was, after all, 'Reading Week'. And I didn't completely ignore that. There were a few moments last week where I was a bit, I wouldn't say homesick because that's too extreme, but a bit like 'Hey, Minneapolis, I would be more than okay if you were in my life right now'. Since we didn't have classes last week, following our Scotland trip most of my friends spent some time at home with their families, which meant; A. They weren't here (obviously) & B. I wanted to be home spending time with family, which is not an option for another month. But, I had a really nice conversation with my Dad and a really solid Skype session with my best pal and my spirits were lifted a whole heck of a lot. 

On Saturday Aysha and I went Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. So. Beautiful. Just absolutely gorgeous. I want to be there all the time. It was just so green and lovely. There were so many trees that looked like they were inviting you to climb them. We walked for most of the afternoon. Made a brief detour at the Serpentine Gallery, which had been really talked up for both of us and honestly wasn't really much of anything...but that's okay. It's inevitable that everything will not live up to the hype surrounding. The parks were lovely enough. We also went to Urban Outfitters where I bought myself a nice knit hat. And a birthday gift for my pal, Stevie. The evening was spent among friends as well, celebrating Stevie's birthday and just hanging out. An altogether lovely day.

I'm also registered for Spring semester and am genuinely excited about all of classes! I'm taking American Literature, British Literature, Greek & Roman Mythology, and Poetry Writing. AND both Mythology and Poetry writing are 1000 level classes. Which will be really nice. Plus I'm just really excited about both of them. I've written a decent amount of poetry, but never with any real direction or much critique so, I think this class will be a lot of fun and will hopefully be beneficial for my writing. The only issues I have with this otherwise awesome schedule are; 
1. Monday through Thursday I have class at 8AM. I'm not all too jazzed about biking to the U four days a week before the sun has risen, in the cold.  But, taking this class from 6-8PM two days a week was the only other option and that was not happening.
2. On Thursday I have a four gap between classes. Not that big a deal, and once the weather is warm it will be lovely to sit outside and work for a few hours. I generally like to have a more compact schedule though. 
Altogether good, these are the only issues and they're not even that bad. So, I'm pretty happy.

I saw 'The Rum Diary' on Sunday evening. I'd heard mixed reviews and I suppose I understand. It gets a little slow at times, but I mostly I really enjoyed it. It made me laugh and snort a few times. Anything that does that is good in my book. And it starred Johnny Depp, which is never a bad thing, except in the rare instances of things like 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' because, let's be honest, Gene Wilder is the only Willy Wonka we ever needed. 

Stevie, Jess, and I took a nice Canal walk this afternoon. I really am going to miss that Canal when I leave, not to mention those two wonderful human beings. It just has so much character as does London in general. This is a wonderful place.

Now, I must write for academic purposes. I will be relatively busy this weekend as my best pal, Emma is coming to visit! And we are heading to Paris for the weekend. So. Excited. (But, also, no time for schoolwork, hence the end of my post).

No comments:

Post a Comment