Thursday, August 11, 2011

I never find out until I'm head over heels

I'm going to London in a little over a month. For the semester. I really want this blog to be something that I use regularly will I'm there; as an update on my day-to-day, for anyone that's interested, and as a record of my travels for myself.

I haven't been a very good blogger yet. I resolve to get better. In the month leading up to my departure I will do this, so it becomes a habit. It only takes twenty-one days, right? I've got plenty of time.

So, did I mention I'm going to London in a month? Because that's happening. And (as always) I'm playing with a dichotomy of emotions. On the one hand; I'm so excited and ready for a big adventure thousands of miles away from everything and everyone. To walk along the Thames, to see Big Ben and Parliament, to ride the tube, to go shopping, to go to a myriad of museums, to learn, to meet new people, to do non-touristy things. Then on the other hand I've never been away for this long and I'm a bit nervous about it. Plus, Minneapolis is amazing in the Fall. I'll always be in love with this city. Fortunately, my excitement is vastly outweighing my nerves and need for those radiant Fall colors.

I can barely believe that it's almost mid-August. This Summer has flown by (as always). Fast or slow, every moment has been magic. Biking around, being with the friends you love, discovering special spots, talking, laughing, swimming as many times as you want in different lakes, everything from the mundane to the miraculous is better in the summertime. I'm in love with this city, I'm in love with this season, that's why it's always so hard when it's over. But this year I have a big adventure to look forward to.

Yesterday was one of those perfect Summer days; cool enough and not a cloud in the sky. I woke up at 4:30 for work and got to see the sun rise. Then spent the day shopping for my dad's birthday. After spending all morning and a large portion of the afternoon biking to different places in different parts of the city, with some successes and some failures, every moment of which was glorious, I ended up at Paperback Exchange. Definite success. I bought eight books for $16.40. That store is a true gem.

Later, my parents and I walked to dinner at Pizza Biga. We had a great time, which was much appreciated. I feel like my family time has taken a hit this summer. I'm constantly working or hanging out with friends or both. But, I really do enjoy spending time with my parents, they're cool people. We walked home, were fascinated by the moon, and laughed until our sides hurt. Great day.

By the looks of it today is going to be another one. I'm going to get out there and enjoy it. I hope you are too.


1 comment: